We love this cheese! We needed a way to satisfy our craving for mozzarella cheese but without the processed flavor and unhealthy fats found in store-bought vegan cheese.
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons tapioca starch
- Boil 2 cups of water, pour over the cashews and let soak for at least 5 minutes.
- Drain the cashews, and add to a blender along with ¾ cup fresh water, lemon juice, vinegar, salt and tapioca starch. Blend until very smooth, scraping down the sides of the blender as needed. The mixture will be watery.
- Pour the mixture into a small saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring consistently and scraping up the bottom with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Within a few minutes, the mixture will start to get clumpy. Stir constantly until it suddenly becomes thick and smooth and sticks together in a clump. Remove from the heat.
- If you would like a stretchy smooth cheese for topping pizza or lasagna, use right away, placing dollops on top of the lasagna at the end of cooking. For pizza, spread on top of the sauce layer before baking.
- If you would like a consistency like a fresh mozzarella ball, place a portion into a small cup or container and freeze overnight. Defrost and use sliced for caprese salad (as shown here) or to satisfy that craving for cheese and crackers.