This a light and fresh side dish, great for Spring or Summer meals.
- Oil spray (avocado or olive oil)
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 3/4 pound fresh sugar snap peas, trimmed and halved at an angle (about 4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1/8 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, plus 1/4 cup fresh juice (from 1 large orange)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable broth
- Black pepper
- Using a zester tool, zest the orange and set aside. Squeeze the orange and set the juice aside.
- Spray a large non-stick pan with oil spray to coat. Heat the pan over medium-high heat and add sliced almonds, stirring gently until lightly toasted. Sprinkle with a small amount of salt. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Spray the same pan with a small amount of oil spray. Add the peas and cook, stirring often, until tender-crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer peas to a serving dish.
- Reduce heat to medium; melt 1 tablespoon vegan butter. Add Creole seasoning and cook, stirring constantly, until butter browns slightly, about 3 minutes. Stir in orange juice, vegetable broth and a couple of grinds of pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until sauce is glossy and thickened slightly, about 2 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding salt if needed.
- Spoon sauce over peas and sprinkle with orange zest. Then top with the toasted almonds and serve.