Servings – about 8
A high speed blender is necessary for this recipe. As lasagna recipes are not usually created with strict guidelines, feel free to play around by adding other herbs, or layers of zucchini or eggplant. This is a great recipe to double and freeze to have on hand when guests pop-in.
- 1 box no-boil lasagna noodles, 10-12 oz.
- 1 pkg. firm tofu, 14 oz., drained
- 1 ¼ cup cashews
- 1 ½ cup water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour or cassava flour
- 2 teaspoons dried basil (or 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped)
- 2 tablespoons parsley fresh, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 (24 oz.) jars commercial pasta sauce
- ¾ cup cooked red lentils
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- 6 oz. baby spinach
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Combine cashews, water and lemon juice in blender and blend until smooth. Add a tablespoon of extra water at a time to help blending.
- Once smooth, pour 2/3 cup of the cashew mixture into a small bowl. Add 1 tablespoon cassava flour to this small bowl and whisk until well combined. Set aside. This will be used as the cheese topping.
- Next, crumble the tofu into the blender with the residual cashew cream, add salt (if using) and pulse until combined. Mixture should be the consistency of ricotta cheese. Add more water 1 tablespoon at a time until the correct consistency. Next, add the parsley, oregano and basil to the tofu mixture in the blender and pulse until just combined.
- Whisk a small amount of pasta sauce with tomato paste to thin. Then add the remainder of the red sauce and red lentils. Stir until well combined.
- Assemble the lasagna: Spread 1 cup of lentil-pasta sauce on the bottom of a large 9 x 13 inch casserole dish or lasagna pan. Next add 4-5 uncooked lasagna noodles. Spread half of the tofu ricotta mixture on top of the noodles. Top with half of the spinach and then layer on 1 cup of the marinara sauce. Next, place 4-5 lasagna noodles on top. Spread the rest of the tofu ricotta over the noodles, then the rest of the spinach. Place 4-5 more noodles on top of the spinach, and then pour the rest of the sauce over the top, evenly.
- Bake covered with foil, for 40 minutes, remove from oven and top with round dollops of reserved cashew cheese mixture, spreading to form round mozzarella-like circles. Return to oven, uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Let rest for 15 min before serving. Sprinkle with a little additional chopped parsley for serving if desired.