So delicious. This recipe’s flavor will stand up to the egg and butter-filled version but with no saturated fat, low calories, and lots of healthy ingredients. And you will not believe how easy the sauce is to prepare!
Makes 6 servings
- Oil spray (avocado oil preferred)
- 6 English muffins, separated into halves
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced into ¼ inch slices
- Firm tofu – cut into ¾ inch slabs, and then cut with cookie cutter into rounds to fit English muffin
- Parsley, chopped or paprika (optional for serving)
Vegan hollandaise sauce:
- 1 cup Raw Cashews soaked in hot water for 30 to 60 minutes
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Distilled White Vinegar
- 1 cup Water (240ml)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tbsp Plant-based butter
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Indian Black Salt (Kala Namak)*
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- Make the sauce.
- Soak the cashews in boiling water for 30 min to 1 hour. Drain.
- Add the soaked cashews to the blender along with the remainder of the ingredients.
- Blend until very smooth.
- Warm the sauce slightly for serving (do not overheat) by warming over a double boiler with frequent whisking; or heating in the microwave for 20-second increments and whisking well between each heating.
- The sauce will thicken while heating. Add small amounts of water at a time to thin if desired.
- Spray large skillet with oil spray, heat to medium high. Add a single layer of tofu rounds and cook each side until lightly browned. Keep warm. Repeat until all pieces are cooked.
- Toast English muffins.
- Layer: half a muffin, a light coating of sauce, tomato, tofu. Pour a heavy drizzle of sauce over the top. Sprinkle with parsley (or paprika) if desired.