Check your produce section for lemon grass paste, ginger paste and garlic paste. Actually, get all of the herb pastes while you are at it – they make cooking a breeze! We keep the less frequently used pastes in the freezer, defrosting 5 minutes before using.
Difficulty level: moderate
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 stalk lemon grass bottom portion only chopped and minced (2T.)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 8 oz white mushrooms, quartered
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar, or coconut sugar
- 2 (14 oz.) cans full-fat coconut milk
- 14 oz extra-firm tofu (optional)
- ½ cup snow peas, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 3-4 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 4 green onions, green parts sliced
- Lime wedges
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion, lemon grass and ginger and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Then add curry paste and garlic and cook, stirring for about 30 seconds.
- Whisk in 1 cup broth, scraping up any browned bits. Then add remaining broth, mushrooms, fish sauce and sugar and bring to a low boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk, tofu, and peas and warm through, about 5 minutes.
- Add lime juice, taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Serve with lime wedges, top with cilantro and green onions and enjoy!