This delicious dessert-hummus is so packed with healthful ingredients that you could have it for breakfast or a snack – really anytime that you need to satisfy that sweet-tooth.
Makes about 1 cup
- 1 can black beans (or chickpeas), drained and rinsed
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons almond butter (or other nut butter)
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoons water (as needed to thin)
- In a food processor, combine all the ingredients except the water.
- Puree until smooth, about 30-60 seconds, scraping down the sides as needed. Add 1 tablespoon of water at a time to create the desired consistency.
- Serve with banana slices, strawberries, apple slices, raspberries, toasted nuts, whole grain graham crackers or pretzels, etc.
- Double chocolate: Add a small handful of chocolate chips.
- Mint-chocolate: Add a few drops of pure peppermint extract.
- Almond joy: Add some shredded coconut and a little almond extract.
- Mexican chocolate: Sprinkle in some cinnamon and cayenne.
- Mocha: Add a pinch of instant coffee.