The California Pizza Kitchen’s Barbecue Chicken Salad has always been a favorite – so many flavors and textures! This is a vegan version substituting tofu (or crispy soy strips) for the chicken that really satisfies the craving.
Makes 4 dinner salads
- 8 cups chopped lettuce, using a mix of colors and textures
- 1 cup finely shredded red cabbage
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 avocados, chopped
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn
- 1 16 oz. package tofu, drained (or 2 cups crispy soy strips)
- 1 cup BBQ sauce, divided
- 1 cup vegan ranch dressing (purchased or from sauce section)
- 4 corn tortillas and avocado oil (or tortilla chips) for serving
- Chopped cilantro for serving
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the tofu into cubes or slices. Place in a bowl and cover with 1/2 cup BBQ sauce. Marinate for 20- 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Remove the tofu from the marinade and place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Flip tofu and brush with remaining BBQ sauce. Return to the oven and cook for another 10-15 minutes.
- Using a small amount of oil in a small frying pan, heat the oil and then toast the corn tortillas, turning when browned. Remove from the pan. Finish toasting all tortillas. Cut into strips with a long chef’s knife or pizza cutter.
- Toss the lettuce and red cabbage with ½ of the ranch dressing.
- Assemble individual salads by dividing the lettuce mixture onto each plate. Evenly divide and top the salads with the beans, corn, tomato, avocado, and tofu (or soy strips). Drizzle with ranch dressing. Drizzle with a small amount of barbecue sauce. Top with tortilla strips or tortilla chips and chopped cilantro.