This is a recipe that is family friendly, hearty, and so flavorful that you will have it on frequent rotation.
Makes 4 servings as a main, or 8 servings as a side dish.
- 2 cups cooked whole grain sorghum, cooled to room temperature
- Avocado oil cooking spray
- 4 large red bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen and thawed
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- 1 cup chopped spinach or kale
- ¼ tsp salt (optional)
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced and 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (or avocado crema – see sauces section)
- 1/2 cup salsa
- Fresh cilantro sprigs
- 2 Tbsp diced red onion
- 1 lime, sliced into thin wedges
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cooked sorghum, salsa, garlic, nutritional yeast, cumin, chili powder, corn, spinach (or kale), and lentils. Mix until combined.
- Stuff peppers with mixture, distributing evenly. Place peppers on baking sheet, and cover with tin foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes, or until peppers are soft.
- Remove from the oven. Top each pepper with Greek yogurt and avocado slices (or avocado crema), a dollop of salsa, and a sprinkling of red onion and cilantro. Serve with a lime wedge.