A beautiful and delicious glazed preparation for fresh spring carrots, using the carrot tops for garnish if available. Carrots are in the same family as parsley with the leaves having a somewhat similar flavor profile. Feel free to substitute one for the other.
Did you know that carrots were originally purple? I used purple, orange, yellow and red carrots here. Using different colors provides your body with a variety of antioxidants.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger (or ginger from tube – available in the grocery produce section)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 6 medium carrots, scrubbed and cut lengthwise, leaving a short section of green tops if fresh.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh carrot tops if available. Otherwise use 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley.
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 lemon for finishing
- Salt and pepper
- In a medium pan over medium-high heat, add oil and stir in ginger. Add honey and stir to dissolve.
- Add carrots and toss to coat. Pour in water and orange juice.
- Cover to steam, stirring occasionally and cook 15 -20 minutes or until tender and juices make a glaze, adding a tablespoon of water more if needed.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkling of chopped carrot tops or parsley.